Before you update
- Check the changelog for the theme to see what to expect.
- Check the updated documentation for the theme.
- It's very important that you keep all your modifications in a child theme. You can then update your parent theme and all (or most) of the changes you have made will still be there. If you have made any custom modifications directly to the template files then you'll need to take that into account when updating.
To update your theme to a newer version follow the steps:
- Download the newest theme files from https://themeforest.net/downloads/ (you must be logged in).
- Log in to your server (using a FTP client like Filezilla) (Codex: FTP Clients).
theme-nameis the name of your theme.
- Create a folder
- Upload the new files to the newly created folder.
- It's very likely that no other action will be necessary to make it work but it's a good idea to check your posts and pages to see if everything still looks like before. If not, you can either rename the folders to how it was to restore the previous version or check the updated documentation as it contains updated information about current setup.
It's recommended that you try manual updating at least once to learn where your theme files are located and what is happening during updating.
We don't recommend automatic updating. It works but:
- It's not possible to restore the backup that way.
- It's not possible to copy the backup to your local computer that way.
- Manual updating can be as fast as the automatic one after the initial FTP connection setup.
You can update your ThemeForest and CodeCanyon purchases automatically by following the steps below: